Monday, May 26, 2014

Blade Kitten, Where no Nikomimi has gone before!

Now it may seem odd that I review a Inde-game that has already been out on the Xbox live and PlayStation Network that was just released on the crazy, game network service, Steam. But, I have my reasons.

One of the reason is that games need female protagonist, as while there are some that fit the bill for a good female protagonist, most are over-sexulized like the recent Samus Aran as some Emo, blond girl, or the Jail-bait Lara Croft. While Ms. Ballard dose have some craziness behind her, she doesn't over-stay her welcome unlike the annoying girls in games like JRPGS. I think EVERYONE know who I'm talking about.

Another reason is because kenekomimis are often displayed as barbaric races, nomads, and even monsters without civilizations, but even Nomads have rules and obligations unlike in the "civilization" game. While there are often seen as thefts and trouble makers, that doesn't mean they cannot be civil. I personally think they could make great therapist, as they are literal humanoids with the understandings of whats around them. In short, they can be civil.

But now to the game itself...

The game starts as Kit, as in not the fox on youtube, Ballard lands on the Lizard people after a bounty but then gets ambushed by a blond woman named Justice who bombs her ship and steals her Breaker Key. "Well, and I though Aki was a pain" I said as she pours hot coffee on my crotch! Anyways, the human armies then attack as she fights though the waves of the reds to find and claim her bounty, finding that things aren't as they seem as a dark truth from her past reemerge.

Sadly, lets start with the flaws in the game. While many complain the controls, I got used to them on my secant play-though and figured out what to do. However, I had to learn them the hard way by playing since, even I was playing on the 360 controller, the game still displayed the button huds instead of the common button prompts seen in even other inde games.While playing though with the upgrades, the game can be easy, but without them, the game can be frustrating without them. Also, I had cheap deaths because the red-raciest decided to play cat-pinata since getting stunt lock between a horde of enemies as the Cam decided to zoom too close in.

However. on replaying the game. that's when I memorized the path and locations of enemies within the game and also found hidden goodies.That when it hits me: that's the Earthworm Jim kind of Action-platformer that I liked as a kid. The type of liner Metroid-vinia these days that even the developers lost within time. The game  not hard as BloodRyane: Betrayal, as nuts as they went with the platforming and bird sections of the game. However, a hard game doesn't always equal a good experience, as games like Dark Souls isn't as hard once one knows what they're doing.

Sadly, The game series suffers the same issues that Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness and the Skull-Girls, where the company would either abandon the game or hold the wrights away from their owners.  This is still a good game, but the flaws caused from the past developers not giving a damn and only focusing on milking the franchise is what holds it back from it's greatness. This is why they had to cancel their episodic gaming idea to a bigger game as a sequel into 3D.

But besides it's flaws, experiences can be what it all relies on. In the end, I had a fun time with the game. What  make the game good is that the developers put a lot of love within the game. From the cell-shaded characters, the witty humor, well designed world, and the story plot, the game can be a pleasant experience.  It would be better than a game made about me, a kenikommimi off to save his kin within a city based off Saints Row 2 and Spider-man 2...

Wait, why AREN'T I developing the game? Oh yea, the dark age of gaming is upon us. Never-mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment